Sunday, August 18, 2019

Experimenting with streaming setups on NetBSD

Ever since OBS was successfully ported to NetBSD, I’ve been trying it out, seeing what works and what doesn’t. I’ve only just gotten started, and there’ll definitely be a lot of tweaking going forward.

Capturing a specific application’s windows seems to work okay. Capturing an entire display works, too. I actually haven’t tried streaming to Twitch or YouTube yet, but in a previous experiment a few weeks ago, I was able to run a FFmpeg command line and that could stream to Twitch mostly OK.

My laptop combined with my external monitor allows me to have a dual-monitor setup wherein the smaller laptop screen can be my “broadcasting station” while the bigger screen is where all the action takes place. I can make OBS visible on all Xfce workspaces, but keep it tucked away on that display only. Altogether, the setup should let me use the big screen for the fun stuff but I can still monitor everything in the small screen.

2 comments:

  1. I have to ask, what led you to use NetBSD in the first place? Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first discovered Linux and other Unix-likes I did a whole bunch of distro hopping but eventually I settled on NetBSD. I liked the idea that I could potentially have all my computers run the same thing, and the promise that older computers could have modern, actively maintained software running on them.

      And also I really like that I can run `ps -ax` and see and *understand* _everything_ that's going on in my computer. There's almost nothing to it.

      Delete